Tuesday, September 08, 2026

 6 INCH: CRYSTAL BALL


Crystal Ball is unknown territory for me. As a kid, I remember not being interested in him. GI Joe to me was supposed to be a military thing and by the time this guy showed up, I felt Hasbro was losing their way. That might be why when Falcon and Tunnel Rat showed up, it was like, "YES!" Crystal Ball, I knew almost nothing about but I think I learned at some point, Stephen King had written the character as himself or as his kid. Either way, Stephen King had a hand with this guy's creation. I had no use for someone like him.

Years later, like over 30 years later, Hasbro decided to bring this guy back for their GI Joe: Classified line. He got no love during the theme years nor the 25th Anniversary. Then bam, here he is. What I find fascinating is that Hasbro managed to take some very niche and/or ugly characters (well, the original toys were nothing like what we have now) and make them look good. Crystal Ball got treatment that made him not only look good, but interesting. That latter part, it probably had to do more with the accessories he came with.

My interest in him is rather odd. The entire Classified line, my interest in it is odd. A lot of figures (and characters, the two are often coupled together), I wouldn't have ever gone near as a kid. As an adult during the theme years, I was kind of stuck getting some of them because they came in two packs. Mindbender is a prime example of someone whom I wouldn't have ever bought but he came with Beach Head. I don't care what the original cartoon did with him. I think it was later, in the 2000s animated movies, I actually learned to kind of like the guy. His role in the original animated movie wasn't bad either. Oops, this is supposed to be about Crystal Ball.

So the toy version looked neat. I don't know how he ever became a contender as a figure for me to buy. I may have been cruising Amazon as I often do and the figure kept showing up. I also may have been thinking of writing a story centering around a group of Cobra operatives who were doing nefarious things to people. When I was piecing the team together, I probably already had Major Bludd at that point, I was thinking of who would be a good fit. Mindbender already had a presence in the Zedd Universe. Of the choices from Classified, I realized Crystal Ball had a lot of potential. His rival, in terms of figures, would have been Interrogator. Something about Crystal Ball was more exotic and would be a better fit.

However, that classic look had to go. I didn't want him to look like a freak that lived in a cave. A fortune teller, maybe. But like Mindbender, I wanted him to have a more refined, snobby, if not stuffy look. Now, I had already taken remote interest in the Operation: Monster Force toyline, exampled by Mr William Winchester whom had done some wonderful photography with the figures. As I looked through the offerings on Big Bad Toy Store, I found options that would work great for Dr Mindbender and... Crystal Ball. Or at least I thought so (and I'm still coming to terms with Crystal Ball's look).

The Mr Legacy figure from Monster Force looked really interesting to me. I also liked the character of Mr Legacy. While I was working on the Devil Dogs stories, I was formulating the 4 Horsemen (as well as 7 Orochi, a Star Wars story, some vignettes, random singles photography, etc), I was waiting for Mr Legacy to be released. It was a long wait and kind of awkward. I was starting to push the 4 Horsemen project but didn't want to reveal Crystal Ball as a character because I wanted to have the figure made first. When I got the figure, well, I took the head off, sanded out Crystal Ball's head and made things all work.

Then I saw how he visually looked. Which is okay, I guess. The head looks a bit eccentric for the body, in my opinion. It's either the fangs or the eye make up on Crystal Ball that throws it off a bit. Also, and this is for sure, the light colors of the figure don't match the rest of the crew. The Mr Legacy figure also could have used a jacket. Back to the drawing board? Haven't decided yet. I've joked, when I've photographed everyone together, that Crystal Ball is the one guy that doesn't fit in with the band. In a different type of analogy, it would be like the drummer Chuck Biscuits in Danzig. 3 gnarly black-haired dude and 1 blonde guy. Jeff Hanneman, the lone blonde dude in Slayer with 3 other black-haired dudes. Maybe like Scott Ian of Anthrax as the bald dude amongst 4 bandmates with long hair. Crystal Ball, in his light colored outfit, stands out that much. To the point that I'm not sure how to use him if he goes out in the field. I think he, like Mindbender, will be staying on base to do their thing rather than go out with the troops and mess with them.

I haven't written Crystal Ball's character yet. In ways, I haven't written Interrogator's either. It'll be interesting to see how they differ. Both are manipulators of the mind and each use their own techniques and tools. I think Crystal Ball relies more on theatrics, drugs, mesmorization, and holograms while Interrogator uses actual psychology. I know for sure, Interrogator looks creepy, especially the small-scale version I made of him. Crystal Ball looks more akin to a guidance counselor which might be a ploy on his part to get the subject to believe and trust in him more. I think of him now as maybe he's a bit Dr Crane-ish (Nolan's Batman series). Looks fairly normal but not really. It's the unwritten that makes him fun for me. 









No comments: