6 INCH: LADY JAYE
I was telling a friend that I was cataloguing my large scale figures and writing notes about them; my thoughts on them, history, why I bought them, but not reviewing them. That I would write about what my issues are with them, but not hard reviews. I also told him that it's really hard to break my mentality on toy stuff; particularly with GI Joe. I know that GI Joe can be kind of an open book for people and that for the most part, people (kids and adults) can do what they want with them. Maybe the gatekeepers and hardcore fans get in the way. At times, I feel that it's appropriate. Or at least, there should be a balance and some things shouldn't be changed.
Hard examples would be Duke is a field commander (Hawk seemed to better behind the scenes), Snake Eyes is caucasian, Destro has a metal head, etc. Even I don't mess with those elements. Where it gets fluid and this still remains hard for me; giving weapons that came with a specific figure and letting someone else use them. Or giving an entirely different weapon to a figure. For example, I can't see Flint with an automatic rifle. Just as I can't see Major Bludd with a sniper rifle or even, again, an automatic rifle. And let's say, I can't see anyone else driving a VAMP but Clutch, even if the cartoon indicated otherwise.
This comes down to how I view Lady Jaye. Didn't have a figure of her until the Theme Years. Didn't care for her, wasn't invested in her despite having time in cartoon and comic. I wasn't anti-female; I had no problem with Cover Girl or Baroness. I do prefer, if I have to have a Lady Jaye, it's the cartoon-based one. Lady Jaye, as a figure would be a skip except for two things. BBTS had a fairly cheap deal of Flint and Lady Jaye together. And I can't have Lady Jaye without Flint (or vice versa). I don't think I even make them a couple in my Zedd Universe. I did finally give her a real role in the unwritten story NEW BREED where she is an intel officer; basically taking Scarlett's position since she went to the MTF.
All that said with my biases and whatnot, the figure is okay. If not standard in quality, design, and execution. She serves a purpose but not a chase figure. I don't mind having her and I don't think she's bad to use; I think I only used her once or twice in photos and that was with Flint. Go figure. When I finally write NEW BREED, maybe my interest in her will grow. Until then, she's a grunt of a figure that just hangs out in a box with the rest of the good guys. Waiting to be used for photos or even display.
No comments:
Post a Comment