Friday, September 11, 2026

 6 INCH: HELIX


Helix was an odd entity into the GI Joe universe. The figure itself with it's Bruce Lee influence, was written by either the comic company at the time or Hasbro as a gnarly, neuro-divergent Jedi. She could foresee future actions and movements and had the fighting skills to adapt for them. Fans said she was an over-powered Mary Sue, much like a certain Jedi-powered female from a Star Wars trilogy. Whatever Helix was meant to be, I threw out the window. To me, she was the equivalent of a special agent or special operations agent. Meaning she did intel and fight with various martial arts. Anyone who knows the concept of gun-fu/gun-kata and the character who used it, that's how I wrote her. (That's a nod to Equilibrium, Matrix, and John Wick)

I had the small scale figure and enjoyed using her. Would it be natural that I would purchase the large scale figure? Not necessarily. Or at least, she wasn't a priority. I think she may have been on sale $20 so it was easier to justify her. She comes with far more accessories than her small scale counterpart. The added gear, like exo-swords, made things confusing for those who knew the history of her. It was like, "uh, where did these come from? why?" I like the figure, don't get me wrong. The character, that was for me to write. I used her in a VS story (she went toe to toe with Storm Shadow) and she had some use in the diostories. Not a large role, just background so I didn't have to give her character.

The VS project works aside the main stories. The stories don't contradict what I'm already doing. The VS project was just fun; pitting good guys vs bad guys and giving them a story of why they have issues. What was fun about it, some of Hasbro's stories, the arch-enemy thing already existed. In other stories, the story told of how the situation started. Unfortunately, Hasbro couldn't quite go all out with it. Felt like they were just getting started then the next theme rolled in (that would be Spy Troops). It's almost like Helix was bought for the VS project. Kind of like a video game character that doesn't show up anywhere else. Or if one looks at enough comic memes, superhero movies add in characters for the movie, never in the comic. I do remember that Helix was not part of the New Breed story; or at least, I hadn't planned on her being in there.
















No comments: