Friday, September 11, 2026

 6 INCH: ROCK N ROLL


When I was a kid, I loved this figure. I'm not sure why other than maybe he was the first one I actually opened Christmas of 1982 when I got a nice slew of figures? It's possible it was the machine gun. I don't remember how big a role he had in the very 1st GI Joe story. It could have been that he and Snake Eyes were stars of the back-up story to GI Joe #1. It was a story called Hot Potato and I was fortunate to have both figures to re-enact the story (the RAM was also part of the gifts under the tree). I imagine like most kids, his popularity declined when other machine gunners showed up and flashier figures. True with me too. However, Roadblock wouldn't ever be his replacement; nor did I have him. I'd skip all the way to Tunnel Rat and for sure, Repeater when it came to loved figures with machine guns.

Two versions of Rock N Roll came out in fairly short order for the Classified series. Why the classic look over the new look? I didn't go for the t-shirt look, I guess. That thinking is weird because I'd love it if Marauders made torsos in that sort of vein. But somehow, it doesn't feel like it's enough for a $25 Classified figure. It probably comes down to personal preference. I'm fine with the classic look. What's also interesting to note, when I did the MTF'd version, there were very few classic nods to the figure. This is another figure that is either helping fill out the O-13 or it's just a figure to have. Or it's the "I'm making an order on Amazon, I might as well add a figure". Sometimes, it's to get the free shipping.

His place in the Zedd Universe, hell, it's confusing for a lot of them. In the universe, the O-13 left GI Joe (even Hawk, old Joe Colton took his spot) to join MTF. There, they would be remain together as their own special team. They'd need a specialist or two to help them with missions, but they wouldn't be formally on the squad. That never panned out. Rock n Roll wasn't written into my stories but I'm sure he will someday. Figure-wise, like Zap, he's decent. I've done a few photos with Rock N Roll and he's easy to use, which is nice. No locked joints on this guy!












No comments: