6 INCH: BATs
At some point with Hasbro GI Joe, I lost faith in them. I found their figures were getting too expensive and uninspired. I don't remember if it was the 2nd movie figures or 30th Anniversary. Somewhere, I just couldn't get into them. The GI Joe Club figures felt like they took the worst parts to make $60 figures. By then, I had moved to Marauder Task Force and started porting characters. Hasbro did do well with the heads, that is something to give them props to (well, for the most part). It got to the point that it took a lot to impress me.
I told a friend when I got these big-scaled BATs, Storm Shadow, and Alley Vipers, there was something pretty neat about them. It's only 2 more inches but it wasn't just 2 inches taller, it was all scaled properly so the figures were bigger. Or as I phrase it, bulky. Like, "that's a lot of plastic". Here's the thing, I didn't like the BATs as a kid. It wasn't about, "what's wrong with Cobra Troopers and Vipers?" It had to do with the fact that Hasbro GI Joe's heads tended to be big. The Viper head seemed oversized to me. The Dreadnok Ripper was like that. GI Joe Wild Bill had a big noggin. The BATs were like that. People would cite, for some of these, it was because the helmets had tons of gear in it. But from the cartoons and other stuff I read, there were ways to slim all that stuff down. Nanotech before it was nanotech! Or whatever 'futuristic' technology movies and shows used so heads didn't look oversized! As stated, I'm a visual guy.
The Classified BATs, I like these things. Hasbro made some tweaks but it's classic enough for me. I like the 'metal' covering; gives them a scarier look. There is a huge however here...
BATs in the Zedd Universe have a strange place in it. That has to do with how I see them and use them. They are the troopers of Overkill and like Sigma 6, I like the idea of them coming in all shapes and forms. I do prefer the more traditional look, but the theme year BATs (small scale) were awesome. In the Zedd Universe, pertaining to small scale, Overkill still has his BATs. But he's seen the limitations of robots and androids, believing that cybernetic augmentation is the true future. He has created CATs (Cybernetically Augmented Troopers). Eventually, he'll go back to BATs but CATs will be a huge thing for a time. A lot of the Zedd Universe has the CATs technology as an aspect (which was hinted at in the Devil Dogs stories).
In terms of the large scale BATs, they serve as cannon fodder. I don't have Cobra Troopers or Vipers. I'm not opposed to the Troopers, I haven't looked hard for decent priced ones. Vipers, I'm shying away from because I have small scale Vipers I really like. This falls under "do I want large scale ones when my lil ones are good enough?". It's hard because the BATs fell into this dilemna. The other Cobra class trooper that falls into this situation are the Alley Vipers. I wouldn't mind 3 more of these BATs. I'm also getting ready to build an Overkill, even though my little one I like a lot. My issue with the BATs now is what to arm them with. I'd like to find something from GridIron Studios but there are so many options.
In terms of the large scale BATs, they serve as cannon fodder. I don't have Cobra Troopers or Vipers. I'm not opposed to the Troopers, I haven't looked hard for decent priced ones. Vipers, I'm shying away from because I have small scale Vipers I really like. This falls under "do I want large scale ones when my lil ones are good enough?". It's hard because the BATs fell into this dilemna. The other Cobra class trooper that falls into this situation are the Alley Vipers. I wouldn't mind 3 more of these BATs. I'm also getting ready to build an Overkill, even though my little one I like a lot. My issue with the BATs now is what to arm them with. I'd like to find something from GridIron Studios but there are so many options.
No comments:
Post a Comment