Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Analistic Approach
or
George Lucas Style in Effect!
*
*
For awhile now, I've been kinda bugged about how the titles were working out for my 'big' dio. I say 'big' because it's the 1st dio that I've put a lot of thought, effort, sweat and tears into since "The Ultimate Weapon". That 1st dio was all trial and error and I used a pretty piss poor program to make it. I can't even look at it and it is currently not posted anywhere. It's VERY long and nobody has an afternoon or nite to get thru the whole thing.
*
In any case, when starting work on the sequel to "Transformation(s)", things just weren't jiving. I was thinking in Star Wars terms, maybe too much. The original title was simply; "Transformation". And then each chapter would have it's own title, like a book, right? Well, the way I had created the poster for "Transformation", ain't nothing felt right. So I went back to the drawing board, looked at what I had, discussed things with a couple of people and in the end, I revamped them.
*
I decided, if Star Wars is the generic overall series title, then what's MINE gonna be called? "Transformation"? No, that was what the story was called, but not the overall series. So I set out on Friday to fix the problems. I also decided to call the sequel "Episode 2" as opposed to "Sequel" cuz well, "Episode 2" just sounds better.
*
First off, I came up with what I was doing. I looked at Luke's title pages and got some ideas from that. G.I. JOE had to be part of the title to show that this was a GI Joe dio. It'd be obvious to anyone who looks at it, but I just wanted the clarification. But it was NOT going to be GI JOE : Transformations. I was thinking of doing many stories under the same sort of name and Transformations was 1 very particular story. I came up with "Chronicles".
*
G.I. JOE : Chronicles.
Episode 1
Transformations
*
I actually changed the name of the dio, made new covers and had to repost the 1st chapter over on JoeDebriefed.com. The way it was originally posted drove me up the wall. I like the idea of having the 2 covers and THEN the story on the next page. Not cover then story.
*
Ok, so I got the "Transformations" title for Episode1 because frankly, it IS about Transformations. That'll be explored a little bit more in-depth in Episode2 which does NOT have a title. (Chapter1 of Ep2 however, does.) Each episode is made up of chapters, right? Each book is made up of chapters, right? And usually, the author comes up with neat lil titles for each chapter. I tend to be REALLY bad about figuring out titles so I started using Iron Maiden song titles. :D
*
It became:
*
G.I. JOE : Chronicles
Episode 1
Transformations
Chapter 1 : Quest For Fire
*
Chapter1, originally, didn't even have a title! In fact, the original chapter was supposed to be a stand alone dio but I started getting all these ideas and blam, "Transformations" became more than just a 1 shot dio w/ an open ending. Check out the covers!

In terms of Chapter 2, titled "Fear of the Dark", what the reader sees for the cover is the Chronicles cover again and then the Chapter 2 cover underneath. Chapter 3, Here to Eternity will follow the same formula. In fact, it's a standard I made for my dios. I could've tried to jam EVERYTHING on the same page, but it made no sense. In dvd terms, it's like a box set. You have the box cover, then the individual dvd covers each with it's own episodes (errrr, thinking SW here).

Anyway, I got it all fixed up and am quite happy with how things turned out.

Until next time...

No comments: