6 INCH: GI JOE CLASSIFIED: SHORT-FUZE
I purchased this Classified 2-pack of Steeler & Short-Fuze because the figures looked really neat and well done. These two characters, being part of the Original 13, come from a very different era of GI Joe. Perhaps, it also comes from a different time of drawn design and sculpt too. For example, the initial 1982 GI Joe line had a very narrow and basic look, as they were supposed to. In ways, it could be questioned how to make those outfits (designs) look good when they were so basic? Compared to, let's say, the Classified Slice and Dice, pretty big difference. But, the designs for the characters are the way they are supposed to be. If the O-13 are to be a bit bland, well, that's just how they are.
I was just thinking about these two figures now that I've had them for about a week. They've migrated from the workspace to photography area a few times. As neat as they are, I'm not sure what to do with them. The promo photos make them look great. I think in the past, just the character art and figure were good enough for me. My imagination could do the rest. So the question I started asking myself, am I buying some of these characters for nostalgia reasons. Like, relive the memories or whatever. I don't really know. I think this has come up because I did order Classified: Flash from BBTS (due to Amazon messing heavily with prices). Flash was the fave of the 1982 Joes that I had/received that Christmas. Is it about buying old faves? Hard to say. If someone asked me point blank, I'd probably say NO. The reasoning being, I would have pre-ordered Tunnel Rat and Falcon. Other faves which haven't been made would include Repeater and Muskrat.
When I look at these two figures, they have a very different vibe. I'm glad Hasbro didn't go straight-original design because that would have been really boring. They mixed up the colors a bit for Short Fuze; it might be more cartoon oriented. Steeler's body looks like Steeler, the head well... Both heads have this weird energy for me. They feel like they are modeled off how 1950s soldiers looked (or 60s). In a way, Short Fuze kinda looks like Captain America. Errrrrr, Chris Evans' Steve Rogers. It's not a bad look just a different feel than Grunt, Clutch, and/or Hawk. I'd like the full crew but market prices are pretty much going to hold me back. Yes Clutch, I am looking at you! I'm considering trying to build my own but it's tough because these aren't Marauder Task Force figures where it's easy to mix and match. If I came across a Clutch head, that doesn't mean he'll fit on the body I want. (Kinda thinking of using the unmasked Desert Scorpion head as his head which means, I just need a body. And where do I find a vest???)
For the record, I never had the Mobat and/or Steeler. I did have Short Fuze. I found him acceptable as a figure to play with. But as a kid, I was frustrated that some of these guys didn't come with a gun. Breaker was incredibly hard to use without a gun. In a lot of ways, he had nothing to do. Riding the RAM didn't count. I probably armed him with something from those old 80s weapon packs but by then, I had probably moved onto the 1983 and 1984 Joes. This Short Fuze, I'm sure, will get some photographic love eventually. In terms of story usage, he's an unknown as are most of my figures.

No comments:
Post a Comment