Demon Hunters: 4 Horsemen/7 Orochi projects
A few months ago (or earlier this year), I realized because of who the Horsemen represent, I could see them 'using' military squads to do their bidding. Now, the Horsemen are classically written as Death, Pestilence, Famine, and War. When I did some light research on them, I came across very liberal (or modern) takes on them which I hate to admit, I'm playing around with.
For example, Pestilence has to do with sickness. The modern take spoke of Pestilence not just as a physical manifestation, but a mental one. I'm playing with the idea that the Horsemen are targeting military squads that are slightly mental. Enough that Crystal Ball can 'poison' their mind even more through all his means (Interrogator could do the same but their techniques are different. Crystal Ball seems more suited for the 'horror' side of things whereas Interrogator would feel like you are watching a spy thriller or something. To have both on the Horsemen or Orochi would be redundant to me and to put an Interrogator together to how I see fit, probably would be a pain in the ass.) Crystal Ball could work his magic; making them more violent, impatient, etc. The Devil Dogs (Vol 1 main characters) will be one of their 'experiments'.
Experiments are how the Horsemen see their subjects. What the Horsemen do to these people, it's for their own interest and satisfaction, not so much a political statement or giving Cobra more power (though, it ends up being that way most of the time). The story of the Horsemen is still being worked on. They'll take a squad under their wing and they'll do their bidding but it's not obvious why. Lady Obitus is the representation of Death. It's not just about killing people; she actually doesn't have interest doing it herself. It's the act of death that she finds fascinating. I think it was written in the latest vignette, she wants to know why there is an unaccounted 21 grams when the body dies. She believes it is the human soul leaving the body. She wants to know what it is. Why it happens. Where does it go? And she certainly wants to see the light leave the body. This will be covered lightly in Vol1: Devil Dogs: Story 4: FATES WARNING.
Somewhere in all this, the Horsemen evolved into the 7 Orochi. The simplest explanation is that the group gains 3 members. One of them is an entity called Red 5. Here is where I came up with a story for the Horsemen; whether it's THE story, I'm not sure.
Red 5 is the 5th member of a Cobra squad; I haven't figured out if they were a special squad or just regular old Vipers. The 4 Horsemen get their fangs in them (hee hee) and this 5-man squad does what they tell them to do. They have no reason to question it because these are all Cobra officers of some sort. When Major Bludd gives you a mission, you do it. Cuz certainly, he represents Cobra's best interests and it must be under Cobra Commander's order, yes??? This squad, the Red Squad (insert placeholder name), well, things don't go well of them in the end. Red 5 is the surviving member and he becomes an experiment of Dr Mindbender (give or take Overkill).
I haven't decided if the Red Squad failure occurs before the Horsemen put the Devil Dogs (and their subsequent squad name) through a series of missions or after. It could be simultaneous which means, the 4 Horsemen have all sorts of plans going on at once. By deciding to go with, basically a Red 5 origin story, this relaxes my plotting/planning/anxiety of creating a new military squad for the Horsemen storyline. If I went with a regular military crew, it'd be some random Marauder Task Force squad. Keeping it within Cobra makes sense. In fact, I believe I have 5 MTF'd Vipers that I can use for visual/physical representation.
I admit, I still don't know what Red 5 is. I was thinking about it when on a drive to Ritzville today (2 hr round trip; let's me think). I was thinking cyborg but not entirely sure I want to go that route. Just how deep on the cyborg scale does he go? And where do I make my line between cybernetic augmentation and actual cyborg? I've got some ideas but none feel very strong. However, I like the idea of the Viper Red Squad being the Horsemen's play toys.
No comments:
Post a Comment